11th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Looks pretty good. That front end has a bit of the 10th gen in it.

I'm not really a Civic Coupe guy, but for some reason I still miss that they're not going to continue it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
good point. The tC really changed the game for sport compact cars. It's the only car that gave the civic coupe a real run for it's money. And the package was simple. It didn't really have any of the great performance of the Civic, or the aftermarket support. Just a lot of fun aftermarket options, which appeal to the majority of drivers.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
62 Posts
I will miss the coupe... it's a shame it had to go... but at the same time the more mature styling of the 11th gen doesn't really fit the coupe character anymore either.

Honda would be better served to introduce a new coupe model that can break away from the economy car roots of the civic, focus more on performance and less on convenience, and take a slightly wilder styling direction... Honda did re-purchase their trademark for the CR-Z name last year (after letting it expire in 2017), and with their electrification/hybridization goals over the next few years, I wouldn't 100% rule out seeing the CR-Z make a comeback as a sport hybrid coupe/hatch that competes with cars such as the Veloster, BRZ, and GR86.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I will miss the coupe... it's a shame it had to go... but at the same time the more mature styling of the 11th gen doesn't really fit the coupe character anymore either.

Honda would be better served to introduce a new coupe model that can break away from the economy car roots of the civic, focus more on performance and less on convenience, and take a slightly wilder styling direction... Honda did re-purchase their trademark for the CR-Z name last year (after letting it expire in 2017), and with their electrification/hybridization goals over the next few years, I wouldn't 100% rule out seeing the CR-Z make a comeback as a sport hybrid coupe/hatch that competes with cars such as the Veloster, BRZ, and GR86.
If Honda wants to go big they could bring resurrect the S2000 to rival the Supra and 400Z. Supposedly there's been rumors of it happening.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
62 Posts
If Honda wants to go big they could bring resurrect the S2000 to rival the Supra and 400Z. Supposedly there's been rumors of it happening.

I would fully support a RWD S2000 model revival. It would easily compete with the 400Z, Supra, Miata.

But for me, one of Honda's most well known legacies is their FWD coupes... the civic coupe, the integra/rsx, the Prelude, the CRX/CRZ... Honda doesn't seem like Honda without a FWD sports coupe. And when they repurchased their trademark for the CR-Z right before officially cancelling the civic coupe, it kind of rang an alarm for me. The civic coupe has been honda's only FWD coupe for some time now... and arguably it's been held back from being a truly sport focused car due to it's sedan origins and it's need to be "user friendly" and mass market friendly.

Something like a CR-Z revival would offer Honda a chance to create a sport focused FWD coupe/hatch that could set aside the convenience and mass-market useability of the civic structure and opt for more of a form over function appeal. Wide stance, low slung roof, small-ish interior 2 seater or even a 2+2 setup that would allow honda not only to have an affordable FWD sports car, but stretch it's hybrid powertrain in a performance direction (like the original CR-Z failed to really accomplish).

In my dreams, Honda would give such a car the 1.5T engine mated to it's hybrid setup, easily producing 230-250hp while still being able to return close to 40mpg. Keep the car small and as light as possible. I love the idea of a 3 door hatch like the CRZ/CRX was for at least some level of utility. Keep the pricing below $30k and offer both manuals and a DCT transmission option while keeping the trim level count low to keep production costs lower. I think something like that would sell better than the civic coupe did, just on performance merits alone, and would directly compete with the likes of other small coupes on the market. Heck, if they did it right, some small car buyers that liked the Fit might even buy into something like that... it could even compete with small city cars like the mini cooper.

Just my 2 cents. A guy can hope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts