11th Gen Civic Forum banner
81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic ST Sonic Gray Pearl
152 Posts
It's just that you sound so ridiculous. Going 90mph is safe? Come on man.
I didn't say it was safe. I said it was safe for me.

I prefer every one keep driving defensively. I'm safer when I drive offensively. If everyone on the road drove offensively, then it wouldn't work for me anymore.

My driving record is proof enough for me that I am safe on the roads. I don't need to prove my driving style to anyone.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Hatchback ST
329 Posts
I stay in the right lane until I have to get over or exit. I usually go a maximum of 5 over the speed limit when I am cruising. I've found that driving any faster over a 10-20 mile stretch won't get you there any faster in most cases. My pet peeve is people riding my ass, passing on the shoulder, changing lanes without giving a signal or leaving enough space and people that don't to a complete stop at stop signs.

It seems that those who stayed home during the pandemic and now have to drive have totally forgotten how and have no sense of respect or decency for anyone else on the road.

That being said, enjoying my 35.2 MPG average.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'm thinking 30 mpg at 80-90 mph is probably pretty good, all fuel economy testing for highway is done at 58 mph approx. At speeds of 80-90 mph you will use significantly more fuel , so you can 't use the government ratings as a comparison. It is hard to estimate what you should be getting at those speeds, but 30 mpg might not be off that much.

If you are in a cold weather region your fuel economy could be 30% lower this time of the year. Winter fuel blends provide less fuel economy, cold winter temps increase fuel consumption due to longer warm up times, and cold intake air requires additional fuel. Check tire pressures in cold temps, tire pressures will drop in winter/cold weather.

I will be doing four hours of highway driving next week for the first time and I will know what my fuel consumption will be then, I tend to drive 112 km/hr - 70 mph.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I feel like the whole break-in period thing is just a myth or doesn’t apply to modern cars at least…
For sure it's not as much as as it used to be, but as a mechanic new things are tighter and have more friction then a somewhat used item. Be it engines with the rings and bearing finding their happy place or differentials and wheel bearings wearing in a touch. I'm not expecting amazing gains but I do believe that it will be improved some.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I feel like the whole break-in period thing is just a myth or doesn’t apply to modern cars at least…
The engine will have less internal friction after full break in. The piston rings will be mostly seated in the first 100 miles, and the rest will occur during the break-in process. You will get less blow-by and more power after some break-in period, whether that is 100 miles or 600 miles is anyone's guess.

Weather and temps will have the biggest effect on fuel economy out of any variable. Your best fuel economy will be found at around 50-58 mph steady state driving in 70-90 degree low humidity weather, and tires filled to recommended cold pressures, using appropriate viscosity synthetic oil.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just set trip B and spent the last week driving across several states to visit family. Over 2000 miles, average speed above 50 mph. Most of my freeway speeds were around 80 mph, occasionally in the low 70s, occasionally 90. Lots of stop and go and lots of stretches of open road no traffic.
I routinely drive on Midwestern interstates with long flat stretches, not much traffic and 70 mph speed limit, where you can set cruise control and let the car do its thing, and I can tell you from experience that after 75 gas mileage gets worse, and after 80 it gets much worse and quickly. At 85-90 you are not going to get to 30, but TBH I can't fault Honda for tuning the engine this way.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I routinely drive on Midwestern interstates with long flat stretches, not much traffic and 70 mph speed limit, where you can set cruise control and let the car do its thing, and I can tell you from experience that after 75 gas mileage gets worse, and after 80 it gets much worse and quickly. At 85-90 you are not going to get to 30, but TBH I can't fault Honda for tuning the engine this way.
Exactly, there is no guideline for what a Civic should get at 80-90 mph, honestly I think 30 mph at 80-90 mph is great. I think my Si would be turning over 3500 rpms at those speeds ? Catch a headwind in cold weather and it is even much worse, fugetaboutet.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Very well stated. And I might add, if one tries to run an entire tank on cruise control at 50 maybe even 60 MPH on a flat road, I could see 45+ MPG being attainable.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Very well stated. And I might add, if one tries to run an entire tank on cruise control at 50 maybe even 60 MPH on a flat road, I could see 45+ MPG being attainable.
Should be easily achievable. This is from my last run up I-5, manually controlling speed at 70ish with the metrics reset just before launching, light traffic, no additional weight in the car. I blame the hills for me missing 45 ;)

Car Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Gauge

Car Vehicle Speedometer Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
11 Posts
nearing 1000Km (620mi) and getting to know how the car works a little more. I’m about to run out of my 2nd tank. Average fuel Econ on this tank is currently 8.3l/100km (28.3mpg).

Had a long-ish commute of 33km (20mi) with almost no traffic lights and managed to get 5.1l/100 (46mpg).

All of this is on normal mode. There’s hope.

Odometer Speedometer Gauge Car Measuring instrument

·
Registered
94 Posts
I’ve ran some tests and 64 MPH is the sweet spot on the cvt. RPM stays the same as 55 MPH. After 65, it jumps up quite a bit.
For the engine - yes - you have to factor in wind resistance too though. Although my 45 MPH may not be exactly right, it's probably close to the sweet spot, with wind resistance added to the equation. I haven't read Car and driver in a long time - but they use to publish how much engine Horsepower each car needed to maintain 50 MPH and 70 MPH. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember many cars requiring 2x the engine horsepower to maintain 70 MPH as they do to maintain 50 MPH.

If you do the math - It probably takes approximately 2x the amount of fuel in a modern efficient engine to go 70 MPH, vs 50 MPH based on the horsepower requirements. Since 70 is not 2 x 50, it is very safe to say that the car will do better on fuel at 50 MPH than it will at 70 MPH.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts