11th Gen Civic Forum banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT
505 Posts
Curious what people are seeing on their trip meters as their average speed to go with their mileage, and if their dashboard MPG are higher or lower than their measured MPG.

I'm looking at my Trip B meter that I reset since shortly after driving my car off (around the 20 miles mark on the odometer); it reads 1465 miles and 32 mpg - which is about 1.5 mpg high, as I've pumped in about 47.5 gallons. But "1.5 MPG computer reading over IRL" has been true of every Acura or Honda car I've had since 2000 that has had a computerized MPG reading.

And an average speed of 29 mph (distance traveled divided by total time with engine on), since a lot of my time, not miles, are in city driving.

And yes, I'm a spirited and 75-80 MPH type driver given the chance, just not so many chances as I'd like... When I'm able to do sustained clear hwy driving my MPH goes up to 34-36 MPG even with passengers and cargo.

(This is in a 2022 Hatchback ST.)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Curious what people are seeing on their trip meters as their average speed to go with their mileage.

I'm using my Trip B meter to log my fuel economy since first driving it, it reads 1425 miles and 32 mpg (which is about 1.5 mpg high, from dividing odometer miles by gallons pumped in - about 47.5 gallons). And an average speed of 29 mph (distance traveled divided by total time with engine on), since a lot of my time, not miles, are in city driving.

And yes, I'm a spirited and 75-80 MPH type driver given the chance, just not so many chances as I'd like... When I'm able to do sustained clear hwy driving my MPH goes up to 34-36 MPG even with passengers and cargo.

(This is in a 2022 Hatchback ST.)
City driving will absolutely obliterate your mpg, so makes sense for your fuel economy.

Mine off the top of my head. Mostly highway and some city mixed in.

Around 38mpg~
Avg Speed 46mph~
Roughly 2k miles

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yeah I was wondering what other people's "mix of mostly highway and city driving" might average out to

I feel like I've done far more non-city driving in my car while it's new than otherwise, because I've been finding excuses to drive it (like, several times I've gone on a one hour round trip drive at night when traffic would be clear just to put miles on it towards break-in)

And yet my average speed overall is under 30 MPH

·
Registered
161 Posts
Despite horrible traffic again, I finally got above 40 MPG (gas station to doorstep)! Same trip as last time but minimal luggage this trip. I was hoping to do better but apparently I-5 is where all the bad drivers are:

Vehicle Speedometer Car Odometer Tachometer

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic ST Sonic Gray Pearl
152 Posts
I just set trip B and spent the last week driving across several states to visit family. Over 2000 miles, average speed above 50 mph. Most of my freeway speeds were around 80 mph, occasionally in the low 70s, occasionally 90. Lots of stop and go and lots of stretches of open road no traffic.

Average for the entire trip was 30 mpg

I guess it gets better mileage than other cars I've owned LOL but the only way to get the rated mpg is to drive like a senior citizen and keep it under the speed limit

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just set trip B and spent the last week driving across several states to visit family. Over 2000 miles, average speed above 50 mph. Most of my freeway speeds were around 80 mph, occasionally in the low 70s, occasionally 90. Lots of stop and go and lots of stretches of open road no traffic.

Average for the entire trip was 30 mpg

I guess it gets better mileage than other cars I've owned LOL but the only way to get the rated mpg is to drive like a senior citizen and keep it under the speed limit

Brah, you're so cool for driving over the posted speed limit. LOL.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Brah, you're so cool for driving over the posted speed limit. LOL.
I'm sure there are other guys who are curious what kind of mileage they're going to get when they drive it like other people in SoCal drive

I could make the same dumb comment about how cool people who get 40 mpg are. But I'd rather just post my experiences and let other people think what they want with the information I present

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm sure there are other guys who are curious what kind of mileage they're going to get when they drive it like other people in SoCal drive

I could make the same dumb comment about how cool people who get 40 mpg are. But I'd rather just post my experiences and let other people think what they want with the information I present

And what were these "other cars you've owned" where driving 85+ MPH for an hour at a time didn't result in significantly lower MPG than driving at 70 MPH versus the EPA highway rating which is measured at an average 55 MPH? My guess is, not 1.5T engines?

Because that kind of speed will basically be engaging the turbo full time, that's a fuel hog. With forced air induction comes richer fuel consumption, that's how the equation works. "There's no replacement for displacement" is still true if you expect similar performance based on steady RPM at very nigh speeds.

It's not so much that you pay a "penalty" for going at very high speeds for a sustained time with this Civic, it's that you get a bonus of higher HP "when needed" via the turbo boost with a small engine. Which assumes you don't need it most of the time.

Yes, my 2007 Acura TSX with a 2.4L NA engine could cruise 85 MPH for an hour at 4000 RPM and get 26-27 MPG, versus getting 29-30 MPG if I cruised at 70 MPH. That's what the extra liters and natural aspiration gets you. It also got me like 18-20 MPG in city driving.

Also, note that "driving at 70-75 MPH" is not "keeping it under the speed limit" unless you live in Texas, last I checked in CA the state limit is 55? LOL. I am not going to judge you for routinely driving 85-90 MPH, but you can't claim that that's either "the legal limit" or "driving like a grandma" to do 75

·
Registered
152 Posts
And what were these "other cars you've owned" where driving 85+ MPH for an hour at a time didn't result in significantly lower MPG than driving at 70 MPH versus the EPA highway rating which is measured at an average 55 MPH? My guess is, not 1.5T engines?

Because that kind of speed will basically be engaging the turbo full time, that's a fuel hog. With forced air induction comes richer fuel consumption, that's how the equation works. "There's no replacement for displacement" is still true if you expect similar performance based on steady RPM at very nigh speeds.

It's not so much that you pay a "penalty" for going at very high speeds for a sustained time with this Civic, it's that you get a bonus of higher HP "when needed" via the turbo boost with a small engine. Which assumes you don't need it most of the time.

Yes, my 2007 Acura TSX with a 2.4L NA engine could cruise 85 MPH for an hour at 4000 RPM and get 26-27 MPG, versus getting 29-30 MPG if I cruised at 70 MPH. That's what the extra liters and natural aspiration gets you. It also got me like 18-20 MPG in city driving.

Also, note that "driving at 70-75 MPH" is not "keeping it under the speed limit" unless you live in Texas, last I checked in CA the state limit is 55? LOL. I am not going to judge you for routinely driving 85-90 MPH, but you can't claim that that's either "the legal limit" or "driving like a grandma" to do 75
See post 46 and 49 in this thread

Many rural highways in CA are 70 mph. Other states have even higher speed limits. But I'll correct my statement to:

"... but the only way to get the rated mpg is to drive like a senior citizen and keep it under 55 mph"

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah, why would you expect otherwise?
I don't expect otherwise. BUUUT people here are acting like 40 mpg is common. Its NOT common unless you are driving slow. And driving slow is NOT common. So therefore 40 mpg is NOT common.

55 mph speeds are basically city speed limits in places like CA AZ NV. Driving those speeds on the freeway is dangerous. Not even semi's drive that slow

I can see mid 30s mpg if you keep it between 65-75mph. THAT would be what I consider common hwy mpg

·
Registered
152 Posts
There are people taking their cars to the dealer because they think there's something wrong with their engine. I'm just trying to add some information so that people understand there is nothing wrong with the car, its just honda inflating the numbers

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't expect otherwise. BUUUT people here are acting like 40 mpg is common. Its NOT common unless you are driving slow. And driving slow is NOT common. So therefore 40 mpg is NOT common.

55 mph speeds are basically city speed limits in places like CA AZ NV. Driving those speeds on the freeway is dangerous. Not even semi's drive that slow

I can see mid 30s mpg if you keep it between 65-75mph. THAT would be what I consider common hwy mpg
I've been getting high-30's at 70-75 mph which is above the speed limit on I-5. So it is quite possible even at extra legal speeds.

·
Registered
161 Posts
There are people taking their cars to the dealer because they think there's something wrong with their engine. I'm just trying to add some information so that people understand there is nothing wrong with the car, its just honda inflating the numbers
Honda doesn't make the numbers on the window sticker, the EPA does. And I'd say their testing methodology in no way represents "real world" conditions or driving behavior.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've been getting high-30's at 70-75 mph which is above the speed limit on I-5. So it is quite possible even at extra legal speeds.
I'm not really sure what you're arguing with me about. I have already posted pictures of me getting numbers similar to yours at speeds similar to yours. We're saying the same thing

Honda doesn't make the numbers on the window sticker, the EPA does. And I'd say their testing methodology in no way represents "real world" conditions or driving behavior.

Thank you for clarifying the role of the EPA :rolleyes:

By "inflating" I mean that honda is tuning the car for higher mpg at the speeds the EPA is testing at. When manufacturers do that (ford is a good example), real-world mpg numbers turn out to be a lot different than the EPA ratings.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You said:

See post 46 and 49 in this thread

Many rural highways in CA are 70 mph. Other states have even higher speed limits. But I'll correct my statement to:

"... but the only way to get the rated mpg is to drive like a senior citizen and keep it under 55 mph"
Which isn't exactly accurate. If we're both getting rated MPG (31/34/38 per the window sticker) or above, then surely driving like a "senior citizen" isn't the only way.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You said:

Which isn't exactly accurate. If we're both getting rated MPG (31/34/38 per the window sticker) or above, then surely driving like a "senior citizen" isn't the only way.
Thats a matter of opinion. Because I spent a full day trying to get the rated mpg and my conclusion is that I was miserable and felt like I was in danger on the freeway the entire drive.

Obviously, my senior citizen comment is triggering people. I guess I'll have to find a new way to describe driving slowly so as not to get people upset around here

·
Registered
334 Posts
I guess I'd add that oftentimes "one way" highway driving can yield different fuel economy than "round trip" driving.

For example, my commute (of 60 miles, one way) seems flat and you'd think fuel economy would be the same each way. It's not flat. There's a very gradual decline as I go south and a very gradual incline as I go north. Fuel economy one way is noticeably better than the other way. There's other environmental factors too; including temperature, wind direction; and other non-environmental factors including other traffic, tire inflation, use of HVAC, windows up/down, etc; all of which can play a role.

So for a valid fuel economy average you need to compute based on the round trip on a normal, relatively clear and windless day; reset the MPG meter prior to the trip; and double check the results of that meter with hand calculations when you fuel up (miles on trip meter divided by gallons on pump, right?).

And going 90 - I got nothing against that, I like to speed - but come on... at 90 mph you don't give a shit about your fuel mileage. You give a shit about going 90! There's no freeway in the US where "90" is an average speed of traffic, I've been most places and the fastest drivers I ever merged into traffic with were in Montana, and even they weren't doing 90 as a "keeping up with traffic" speed...

·
Registered
152 Posts
And going 90 - I got nothing against that, I like to speed - but come on... at 90 mph you don't give a shit about your fuel mileage. You give a shit about going 90! There's no freeway in the US where "90" is an average speed of traffic, I've been most places and the fastest drivers I ever merged into traffic with were in Montana, and even they weren't doing 90 as a "keeping up with traffic" speed...
At 9pm on I215 in SoCal almost everyone is doing 80mph. So in order for me to drive in the style that I believe is most safe for me (offensive driving), I have to drive a little faster. 90 mph is good. There are freeways in AZ with 80mph speed limit. So most are doing 90mph.

But look, I wasn't trying to say that I care about my fuel economy at 90mph. I don't care that it's much less than at slower speeds. I was initially concerned because when I bought the car there was a 7-9 mpg difference between my average mpg and the rated hwy mpg. It was below even the city rated mpg. Every other car I have owned, the spread was not that large. So I was CONCERNED that there was something wrong with my car. Other people had the same concern and some even took their car to the dealer.

In post 39, I showed the results of a little trial I did that proved that there was nothing wrong with my car and it was perfectly capable of obtaining the rated hwy mpg, as long as you drove in a "particular style".

That is all. All the comments about my driving style or my mpg expectations at high speed are just internet noise.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts