11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the new Civic on Oct. 22, so about 2 weeks ago. My driving is about 75% city and 25% highway, I have 1800 kms right now and my fuel economy is at a horrible 9.4L/100kms. That's 1120 miles and 25 mpg. I've had it on econ mode the entire time, and I don't know if I should take it to the dealer to have it checked or if there's a break in process that is done. I turn off auto engine off and put on brake hold every time I start the engine, not sure if they matter. I generally have AC on the entire time for heating since it is getting pretty cold in Canada. Is this an issue with you guys as well, the 11th gen model or the Touring trim?

·
Registered
65 Posts
You may want to take it off Econ mode and see if it helps any.

I‘ve noticed quite a few people complaining about less than expected fuel economy on the forum. Many say they use Econ mode. But I think using Econ mode in city driving might actually hurt gas mileage.

Since Econ mode dulls throttle response. I‘m thinking people may mash the gas pedal harder just to get decent acceleration. Which may actually give you worse fuel economy.

I think the Econ mode is primarily designed for highway cruising. Where speed is constant. This is where the Econ mode would benefit the most.

Personally, I‘ve owned my Touring for about three months. I haven’t used Econ mode even once. I’m getting slightly better than the rated fuel economy. About 33 mpg/city, and 39 mpg/highway.

I realize everyone’s driving style is different. But it might be worth a shot. I would definitely give it a try before taking my car to the dealership. It can be a crap shoot on whether they make the car better, or worse.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may want to take it off Econ mode and see if it helps any.

I‘ve noticed quite a few people complaining about less than expected fuel economy on the forum. Many say they use Econ mode. But I think using Econ mode in city driving might actually hurt gas mileage.

Since Econ mode dulls throttle response. I‘m thinking people may mash the gas pedal harder just to get decent acceleration. Which may actually give you worse fuel economy.

I think the Econ mode is primarily designed for highway cruising. Where speed is constant. This is where the Econ mode would benefit the most.

Personally, I‘ve owned my Touring for about three months. I haven’t used Econ mode even once. I’m getting slightly better than the rated fuel economy. About 33 mpg/city, and 39 mpg/highway.

I realize everyone’s driving style is different. But it might be worth a shot. I would definitely give it a try before taking my car to the dealership. It can be a crap shoot on whether they make the car better, or worse.

Good luck to you.
Thank you for the tips, but can you add anything else on how you generally operate the car? I'm 22 years old, I don't know anything about cars. I generally do hardpress when accelerating at a stoplight, didn't know it'd be affecting it that much. Haven't checked the tire pressure, and I'll try going on normal for now. Is there anything else that I should do?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2022 Sport and usually get about 40MPG. I do about 80% highway driving and I know the Touring has a turbo, but maybe these tips will help you. What seems to help me is watching the ambient meter on the gauge cluster and adjusting my driving style to keep the meter bright green as much as SAFELY possible. An online Civic manual says this about the ambient meter, "With SPORT mode* off, the color of the ambient meter changes to green to indicate that the vehicle is being driven in a fuel efficient manner." If the light is off or light green, then I can probably adjust my driving to get the ambient light showing bright green and therefore get better gas mileage.

The following are specific driving habits that seem to help keep the ambient meter bright green:
1. Very slow, gradual acceleration using light pressure on the gas pedal rather than slamming the gas pedal
2. Smoothly letting off the gas pedal to slow down the car (engine braking) instead of pressing the brake pedal
3. Keeping plenty of distance between me and the car in front of me. The more distance there is, the more I can use engine braking or not brake at all.

I also like to do the following:
4. Turning off the auto engine idle. Normally, I'm not stopped at a standstill for long and I hate the lag from turning on the engine.
5. I got better gas mileage in normal mode vs. econ mode in my parents' 2019 Civic. I'm not sure if it's the same with the 2022, but will test it out some time.

If you do try the above, BE CAREFUL since you will be changing your driving style. For example, you may need to start engine braking earlier vs. using the brake pedal. Anyway, I hope that helps you get better gas mileage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
From past experience, the ac/heater on all the time kills gas efficiency and I noticed the auto-stop turns back on just to keep the engine running to power the accessory belts.

I drive mostly city as well and have the manual sport touring model. I average around 35-38ish mpg

Some things I do:
1. I keep my shifts to 3K and below
2. Not mashing on the gas pedal
3. Keep my auto-engine stop on

I mean you can literally see your average mpg line go up and down so just be cognizant of what you are doing when you are driving and change driving behaviors. You don't NEED to race to the next stop light every time

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Hatchback ST
183 Posts
I drive mine in city and town about 80% and highway 20%. I'm averaging 34.7 MPG. I always drive in Normal mode. I noticed that when I am Econ mode that Instant Miles Per Gallon meter is all over the place.

Like someone else suggested, try Normal mode for a while and see how that does for you.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Sport Touring
76 Posts
Avg 34mpg city @ the moment. Normal mode. Driving normally(not slow not crazy aggressive either).

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic ST Sonic Gray Pearl
79 Posts
After two tanks of gas I'm only getting 30 mpg. 80% hwy. I drive it easy but on the freeway, I'm usually doing 80 or 90mph. Even at those speeds I should get better than 30mpg

The third tank of gas I spent the day yesterday doing all city driving, but driving it pretty easy. After 30 miles its showing 20mpg

Something is definitely wrong...

EDIT: I only use normal mode

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Hatchback ST
183 Posts
After two tanks of gas I'm only getting 30 mpg. 80% hwy. I drive it easy but on the freeway, I'm usually doing 80 or 90mph. Even at those speeds I should get better than 30mpg

The third tank of gas I spent the day yesterday doing all city driving, but driving it pretty easy. After 30 miles its showing 20mpg

Something is definitely wrong...

EDIT: I only use normal mode
Yep, that doesn't seem right at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a touring and I get about 7.5L/100km on normal mode

Unless you’re accelerating gently and slowly with Econ mode on, it’s not worth it. The car works twice as hard to compensate if you’re accelerating hard. I only recommend eco mode on at cruising speeds.

I got the new Civic on Oct. 22, so about 2 weeks ago. My driving is about 75% city and 25% highway, I have 1800 kms right now and my fuel economy is at a horrible 9.4L/100kms. That's 1120 miles and 25 mpg. I've had it on econ mode the entire time, and I don't know if I should take it to the dealer to have it checked or if there's a break in process that is done. I turn off auto engine off and put on brake hold every time I start the engine, not sure if they matter. I generally have AC on the entire time for heating since it is getting pretty cold in Canada. Is this an issue with you guys as well, the 11th gen model or the Touring trim?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Its definitely not right. I'll wait another tank, then I should have close to 1000 miles. Then I'll take it in to the dealer.

Sucks because I want to tune it, but now I have to wait and make sure there isn't anything wrong
I don't yet have a 11th Gen civic, however, I have owned other cars with turbocharged engines. If you're using the boost, it's gonna drink fuel. If you are a normal 22 year old, you're using the boost.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic ST Sonic Gray Pearl
79 Posts
I don't yet have a 11th Gen civic, however, I have owned other cars with turbocharged engines. If you're using the boost, it's gonna drink fuel. If you are a normal 22 year old, you're using the boost.
I'm 44 LOL I just passed 600 miles today. I've been driving it super easy so I can break it in properly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm 44 LOL I just passed 600 miles today. I've been driving it super easy so I can break it in properly.
sorry I confused you with the OP. Wow, 30 is disappointing then. I have a V6 Accord with a 3.5 L and if I drive 80% highway, even I'll get 30 MPG.

Edit - just re-read your post - "I'm usually doing 80 or 90mph" - go 75 and I bet you get 35MPG

1 - 20 of 64 Posts