11th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Apologies for this being a repeat from another forum, but I see a lot of overlap between the two so I figured it'd be ok)

Has anyone heard anything about the Civic launch to be delayed by a microchip shortage?

Since my 2017 Civic lease is almost up, I paid my local Honda dealer here in the Montreal south shore suburbs a refundable deposit to reserve a 2022 Touring from the first batch. He told me they'd have a 2022 Civic demo to show people by the end of May and a dozen or more to sell by mid to late June. I reconfirmed this with him at the beginning of last week and it was supposedly the same plan.

I've heard nothing from him since so I called today and spoke with the sales manager. According to him, everything has been delayed because Honda is dealing with a microchip shortage.

Although that's certainly possible, I find it weird that we've seen several cases of new Civics around the Honda Canada area seemingly driven by Honda employees and we've also seen pics of shipments of new Civics loaded on trucks to be shipped to dealers. I've had bad experiences with car dealers in the past, so I tend to have trouble trusting them. Plus since my lease is almost up, if the new Civic isn't going to be available, I may start looking at other options from competitors.

Registered
Come on you Honda pees. What do you know? Some of us are counting on you 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
I saw these screenshots on another forum. The second one shows it goes on sale June 16th. I live in a big city and I'm hearing that they'll start receiving them around the 21st. The dealerships should be able to look at what they have on order. I think some sales people will exaggerate to get you in earlier so they can clear out the 2021 models. I had one dealership tell me they wouldn't arrive until November. I called back and was told they had 5 on order for the 21st.

I want to mention that I also heard that you're not obligated to return your lease to the sale dealership. That if the trade in price is more than your lease buy out you could technically take it elsewhere to trade/sell. If this is true you may be able to pocket more equity towards the 2022. Especially with how the used car market is right now. I've never leased a car so I'm not sure how true this is but worth calling around to dealerships that you didn't get your lease from.

Registered
I've had bad experiences with car dealers in the past, so I tend to have trouble trusting them. Plus since my lease is almost up, if the new Civic isn't going to be available, I may start looking at other options from competitors.
Maybe your dealer is small one so they did not get allocated many cars. Most likely they will get a demo and then after putting deposit down will wait few weeks for your car.
Go to Honda Canada site, select few other dealers (not only in Quebec) and give them a call.
I would NOT abandon idea of having 2022 Civic. Car looks VERY promising in every way and this might be your last chance to own and enjoy ICE car.
What other cars would you consider? And if you do consider any other brand wait for Subaru Impreza 2022 to compare. You can consider even Hyundai Elantra...

Registered
This will work as a great dealer story to up prices. You read it on the Internet, so it has to be true!

Yes, there is a chip shortage issue, impacting many products, automotive and others. It's not a new issue, and has been known for months. To think that Honda put together this announcement schedule, and been manufacturing 2022 Civics for a month now, and suddenly caught by surprise by a chip shortage is hard for me to believe, personally. Bad stories like this get repeated/retweeted, etc, and become assumed true.

Now show me a story in the Canadian press that the Civic plant is temporarily closing (not rumors, closing), and THEN you have some credibility to the story.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This will work as a great dealer story to up prices. You read it on the Internet, so it has to be true!

Yes, there is a chip shortage issue, impacting many products, automotive and others. It's not a new issue, and has been known for months. To think that Honda put together this announcement schedule, and been manufacturing 2022 Civics for a month now, and suddenly caught by surprise by a chip shortage is hard for me to believe, personally. Bad stories like this get repeated/retweeted, etc, and become assumed true.

Now show me a story in the Canadian press that the Civic plant is temporarily closing (not rumors, closing), and THEN you have some credibility to the story.
Good points. My dealer has repeated this story to me twice now. It seems bogus to me since I contacted three other dealers in the Montreal south shore area and while none of them have the new Civic in stock yet, all expect it by the end of June and none of them mentioned a chip shortage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts