11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a 10th gen owner and like many I am plagued by A/C issues. I replaced the condenser by myself and the AC worked fine for 2 years. When I first turned it on this year, the system was low on gas. After recharging, it worked fine for few weeks and the driver side is already blowing warmer air than passenger side. After scouring 10th gen forums, it has similar posts from few years ago except now the complaints are pointing towards evaporators..... which is a total bitch to replace.

I would suspect that Honda knew about condensers for a long time before they issued a recall, and they probably know that evaps will go bust too, since it was probably the same vendor they went to for these parts.

Given the fact that 11th gen is out and people were mighty pissed over the A/C issue in the 10th gen, I would also suspect that new parts are now made to proper spec and shouldn't spontaneously go bad.

Would anyone know where to check whether 11gen uses same parts as 10gen?

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hello,

I am a 10th gen owner and like many I am plagued by A/C issues. I replaced the condenser by myself and the AC worked fine for 2 years. When I first turned it on this year, the system was low on gas. After recharging, it worked fine for few weeks and the driver side is already blowing warmer air than passenger side. After scouring 10th gen forums, it has similar posts from few years ago except now the complaints are pointing towards evaporators..... which is a total bitch to replace.

I would suspect that Honda knew about condensers for a long time before they issued a recall, and they probably know that evaps will go bust too, since it was probably the same vendor they went to for these parts.

Given the fact that 11th gen is out and people were mighty pissed over the A/C issue in the 10th gen, I would also suspect that new parts are now made to proper spec and shouldn't spontaneously go bad.

Thanks

Dan
Welcome to the forum Dan! I haven't seen anything as far as a parts list goes yet. Your best bet might be to see an 11th gen in person and see for yourself.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I wonder if a Honda dealer would have info.

I did a search on RockAuto and the don't have 2022s yet. Just '21s. And this is the part number. So that's a start

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dan! I haven't seen anything as far as a parts list goes yet. Your best bet might be to see an 11th gen in person and see for yourself.
Well evaporators cannot be seen without disassembly, to looking at the car won't shed light on that aspect of the question.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I'm guessing that chassis, powertrain and everything under the body is exactly the same.... but who knows. I dont want to start tearing everything apart (dash, steering wheel, crossbar hanger... again, its a pain in the dick) put a new part in and have to deal with it again later on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a 10th gen (2017) civic the AC stopped blowing cold. I was told I had a leak and they replaced the evaporator. They has my car for a few days because they had to take the whole dash apart. Idk how this compares to the 22 but wanted to mention my issue with the evaporator.

·
Registered
65 Posts
How exactly does the evaporator fail in these cases? Clogged? Rusting through?

As far as those wanting to know if this issue is addressed in the 2022 model, any "answer" posted here is a guess at best. Honda, just like all car makers, won't answer detailed design fix questions like that, because in part doing so would also be admitting they had a faulty design, and could expose them legally or just be bad optics regarding quality issues with the brand. Quite likely the evaporator design changes slightly with EVERY new model Honda puts out. Whether that will correct this issue is another story altogether.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
188 Posts
It's also important to note that Honda themselves doesn't actually manufacture all of these various parts. They get them from suppliers. And there are always variables in manufacturing batches. 99% of a sourced material might be fine, but it takes just one bad batch due to some random manufacturing error or material flaw to create a huge mess. These suppliers change often based on price and availability as well as being regional (civics built in the US have parts sourced from different makers than those built in Canada, or Japan). For all the issues I've read about the civic A/C units, I've had zero issues with either of my two 10th gens blowing strong, ice cold, and never failing.

As someone who works with vendors and suppliers of all sorts in my job, you have to, at least partially, rely on the word of said supplier that everything is of good quality and under strict quality control standards, and outside of that, it can be trial and error finding reliable vendors. And even that isn't a guarantee that somewhere in long process of refining raw materials, building parts, shipping them, installing them, that something might not go wrong or have flaws that are basically out of anyones control.

So does the 11th gen share parts with the 10th gen? Yes, definitely... but how many of those parts are EXACTLY the same, or even come from the same suppliers/sources. Almost impossible for anyone outside of Honda R&D/Manufacturing to actually say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I was just at the dealer buying oil and filter since I am due for a change and I asked the guy about part numbers. So what he told me is that in Honda world, the 3 middle characters of a part stand for the vehicle it's meant for. He looked up evaps for mine (2016) and the 11th gen and the part number are different. Now, whether they changed the part number because it's a new gen and everything gets updated regardless or if there was an actual change in geometry, he didn't know.... the part number could also indicate that there was a quality upgrade etc.

Anyway, I bought a can of gas with UV dye in it. If I don't see it anywhere, then it's the evap.

·
Registered
119 Posts
What exactly fails in this evaporator? That is my biggest concern with Civics. My Accord's A/C stopped working some 10 years ago and I did not bother to fix it as they told me it will cost arm and leg... I did add cooling gas few times but it last 2-3 weeks and then no cooling again.
From what I see, Civic 2022 uses different type of cooling gas meaning all my stash of cans with it will become useless...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What exactly fails in this evaporator? That is my biggest concern with Civics. My Accord's A/C stopped working some 10 years ago and I did not bother to fix it as they told me it will cost arm and leg... I did add cooling gas few times but it last 2-3 weeks and then no cooling again.
From what I see, Civic 2022 uses different type of cooling gas meaning all my stash of cans with it will become useless...
A pin hole or more appears over time for god knows what reason and they start leaking gas.

Here is a link on the 10th gen forum: 2016-2019 Evaporator failures/leaks

And a youtube video showing a guy tearing it apart and toward the end you can see where it failed:

Condenser fails in the exact same way. It's not the road debris, it just fails on its own. My suspicion is that the tube extrusions through which the gas flows were manufactured too thin. It's not rust that kills it because it's made out of aluminum. Any oxidation/degradation should be out of the question too. My parents have a 2015 jeep cherokee that also runs the new YF-1234 gas and it runs like a champ, no malfunctions or performance issues at all.

So anyway, I added the gas with dye and flashed the light at the condenser.... and it has at least one spot where it leaks.... replaced it 3 years ago before recall was issued. My problem with doing this job over again is that evap might be busted too, but it's impossible to find out without doing what the guy in the above link did....

·
Registered
2020 Honda Civic Coupe EX
1 Posts
Hello,
I've been selling Hondas for 2 decades. The A/C issues have plagued Honda for years. My 1999 CR-V, my 2004 Civic, my 2005 CR-V and our 2020 Civic Hatch Sport all had catastrophic A/C issues. Only the past one was taken care of through warranty. When asked what the Achilles Heel of the Honda, my instant response is always...A/C.

Thanks

Dan

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts